I'm Naked Here

It's been a while since I've written. There's reason for it, of course. But for now I'm just going to talk...

Not entirely sure where to start though. I don't care to give much background to my life's recent events and I don't want to hold back from my point either - which will be short and direct. So I guess I'll just begin by sharing where my often renewed sense of self comes from. There are times a short daily devotional hits home, perhaps a scripture that I come across or even some other person expressing a thought that I may identify with. It certainly isn't from self righteous behavior or thought. More often than not, it's through music and lyrics that I find both myself and my identity in Christ.

Recently I was listening to one of my all time favorite bands so needless to say their songs themselves are familiar. But as I'm working on seeking God's perspective in what I'm doing (as in life), which is a painstaking task to be truthful; I realized their songs and their meanings are my own thoughts and prayers. Crazy? I think not...after all, those people whom I've never met are also my brothers and sisters in Christ and our connection runs deeper than our own blood. I may have heard these lyrics hundreds of times and sung them off key while driving down the road over the years. But when I stop hearing the music and lyrics on their own and realize I'm hearing my own outreach to the love of God, I "hit the brakes" so to speak and I'm forced to recognize my own reflection....Have you ever looked in a mirror under a light which exposes every nook and cranny - every blemish, every undeniable fault? mmmm, not fun....

"In The Dark"     Flyleaf
I’ve written songs
In the dark, in the dark, in the dark, in the dark
I’ve felt inspired
In the dark, in the dark, in the dark, in the dark
I hide myself
In the dark, in the dark, in the dark, in the dark
Used to be afraid
Of the dark, of the dark, of the dark, of the dark
Those in the light know we're dead
In the dark, in the dark, in the dark, in the dark

There’s only artificial light here
My flaws hide well here
I used to be afraid of cluttered noises
Now I’m afraid of silence
Fill this space
Idle words

I’m scared to death of light and silence
Jesus kill me inside this
Raise me up to live again
Like you did, like you did

Now I am mute despite myself
All of them are gone
The silence overtakes me
The idle words forsake me
And I am left to face me

I’m held accountable
For every idle word
Curse the idle words

I’m scared to death of light and silence
Jesus kill me inside this
Raise me up to live again
Like you did, like you did

Glory shows up
Exposes us
I’m naked here
Forsaken here
By the dark
By the dark
Damn the dark

I’m scared to death of light and silence
Jesus kill me inside this
Raise me up to live again
Like you did, like you did
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Need a Vacation from Our Vacation!

My hover craft is full of eels!

Are You Gonna Kiss Me Or Not?