The Carnival

 HOST: Welcome to the carnival! I’m your host for the evening. Step right up!

YOU: What is this?

HOST: It’s a ride. Haven’t you seen one before?

YOU: Well, yes, but it doesn’t look stable or secure.

HOST: Who cares about the foundation?! You come here for the fun of it, right?!

YOU: I suppose…Why are you shouting?

HOST: No one likes the meek and mild. My job is to dazzle you!

YOU: You’re certainly a character one would likely not soon forget…Say, what else does this place have to offer?

HOST: You look like the kind of person who likes to play games. Over here we have multiple booths to choose from. No flipping tables due to your loses though. The guy over there just outside the entry did that once and now he thinks HE runs this place! 

YOU: That guy looks familiar…

HOST: Yeah, he gets that a lot… Never mind him though, what game will suit your fancy tonight? Bobbing for apples? 

YOU: Those remind me of some apples I saw a long time ago at a bad dinner party. Pass…

HOST: I see. It appears you have a sharp tongue and speak plainly of your opinions. Perhaps throwing darts is a game more suited to you? 

YOU: I’m not sure. These don’t look like ordinary carnival games. 

HOST: When did having fun require playing fair? Let’s move on then. There’s a maze just around the corner! It’s my favorite - one never knows what lies ahead.

YOU: Maybe. Forgive me, but I am trying to place where I know that guy from - the one you pointed out earlier…

HOST: Forgive you? I think you’ve mistaken me for the guy you’re trying to place. Anyway, it’s a long and narrow walk back to where he is now. And you’ve yet to try a single event in this place. 

YOU: Right. My apologies, I did hope to enjoy the evening here but where are my friends? 

HOST: Child, did you forget I hand selected you from the crowd for a personal tour? 

YOU: I didn’t realize…

HOST: But of course not! I come like a thief in the night! Ha! Oh, it is good fun here at the carnival. Most who spend a few minutes with me can’t help but enjoy my company and we roar with laughter by the end of the night at those who get left behind. Yet, I can tell you remain purely out of curiosity thus far. What is it that you’re looking for here if it’s not even a spot of fun?

YOU: What’s that guy’s name?

HOST: Who?

YOU: The guy down the path back at the entry. You must know him.

HOST: His name is J now do come off it dear we’re nearing the end of the night without a hint of selfish spite in the name of pleasure for pleasure’s sake!

YOU: J! That’s it! Oh, I wonder if he saw me? I probably came across so careless to have not reacquainted with him…

HOST: What’s careless is your inability to focus on everything I’m offering you tonight. Shall I entice you with some funnel cakes and cotton candy if nothing else? Do please try to enjoy yourself if not my company as well.

YOU: I’m afraid I don’t much care for carnival food.

HOST: Surely you’re joking.

YOU: No. I mean no disrespect…After all, however, I do believe it’s best if I make my way back. 

HOST: We’ll be a suited pair on another evening no doubt. Don’t you worry. In that case, all roads lead to the exit! 

YOU: I mean back to the entry, where J is. I can see the brighter light over that way but it appears they’re rearranging some of the booths since we’ve walked. You mentioned a different path earlier?

HOST: Hmm, yes, I did didn’t I? Regrettable….Nevertheless, I’m afraid my shift is soon ending and I must clock out. You’ll have to see yourself back. 

YOU: Do you have a way to call where J is?

HOST: I do not call upon Him!

YOU: Oh, okay. 

HOST: No need to call in my opinion, He stands there knocking incessantly anyway!

YOU: Why don’t you just let Him back in then?

HOST: Why don’t you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Need a Vacation from Our Vacation!

My hover craft is full of eels!

Are You Gonna Kiss Me Or Not?