Hurry Up and Wait

I'm just going to use this post as a sounding board if that's alright. Normally, I'd do my best to reflect positivity in my writing and I often pray it's inspirational to others. I truly do believe God would have us all "shine bright", rather than walk around dimly lit. So I'll do my best to be uplifting as I share my thoughts-because The One who loves me most always uplifts me...

But can I just say I get very, very irritated at times with this Air Force life? And before I tell you why, may I discourage any replies that start with "that's the military life..." or "now you understand hurry up and wait..." or something of the sort. I'm not an idiot and I've never been oblivious to the hurry up and wait aspect of the military. For goodness sake, every man on my side of the family as been active duty in one branch or another for X amount of time. My aunt served as well along side my uncle. Perhaps I didn't grow up living in the same house hold with any of these relatives, but I do "get it" and I just don't need people talking to me like I never have.

Anyway, there really are times where Jeff and I talk about whatever military things are relevant to us and I just have to shake my head at it. I'm sure there have been more than a few times where Jeff witnessed my face contorting into total confusion and I out comes my "what?" that so often sounds more like a statement than a question-because whatever the situation is at hand sounds so dumb even Jeff rolls his eyes at it after explaining it to me. Seriously, what happened to common sense? Don't get me wrong, my sincerest respects and appreciation go out to our service men and women. All I'm referring to is this method of running the Air Force as if everything is a game of telephone and somewhere down the line the message went from being "this is important and here's why" to "I like to eat bananas and act like a monkey". 

Sigh...I try to "vent" respectfully because as I'm doing it I realize there are so many aspects or details I may not even be aware of or understand. But truthfully, in my opinion, if whoever it concerns would just pay attention to what is going on and enforce attention to detail, maybe they could at least fool me into thinking someone, somewhere actually cares. Was the military not designed because someone cared enough to "serve and protect"? Just sayin...people aren't robots. I would argue that most people serving are more or less doing it for their immediate families. 

In fact, I was incredibly encouraged to hear about a recent visit from the Chief of Staff who supported taking care of your family. I was also relieved that supposedly the Chief of Staff requested that stupid stuff be corrected. Okay, I doubt those were his exact words...but in a nutshell he WANTS people to bring things to his attention so that if there is a better way to do something it be done! Even he recognizes common sense as essential because at the end of one's career, however long it is; all you have is who has been with you all the way through it-helped get you through to where you are-and is worth taking care of. At least, that's what I understood from what Jeff heard.

Again, I'm just the civilian. But I am also still one who is still close enough to know what goes on behind the scenes and how it often seems a little...off. Not all the time. But as it pertains to Jeff and I, I find myself often praying for all the hands in the pot. I pray they will find another dish to dive into...

I'm reminded of a quote I've always tried to keep in mind: "Don't wish it were easier, wish you were better." In my opinion, it's a phrase that should be applied all around the spectrum. I know Jeff and I have done and still do our best to be better for each other and the military. If I may be so bold, I hope that others also would do the same for us regardless of rank or status. I personally don't always think the military is as organized as it sounds like it was 50 years ago. But it is what it is, I guess...A work in progress-as are the people in it. I pray for the leaders of this country and that somehow, in some way, they are allowing The Lord to guide the decisions being made. If there's one thing I've tried to encourage for Jeff, it's that He strives to fulfill Colossians 3:23-24.

As for me, I pray a lot. If there's one thing military life is teaching me. It is to be thankful and to do my personal best in fulfilling Matt 6:34. There's really isn't much point in living life as a string of plans to be fulfilled. Sure, I'd love the idea of making plans to vacation in Hawaii for our anniversary in 6 months. But I honestly don't know if we'd even be able to. So I'll stick to what we can do together for Christmas and go from there. God wants to use me (and you) today-right now, where we are. He says to come just as you are for a reason. It's not just Him being nice...it's Him being accepting of who you are because He made you that way and loves who you are. 

Currently, I am simultaneously happy and very stressed. And then He gives me Philippians 4:6. 
Usually that's followed with frustration and confusion. And then He gives me Philippians 4:7.
Right on cue I won't even know what to think. And then He gives me Philippians 4:8.
It doesn't take me long to remember who I can trust and how I should live for Him. Because He gives me Philippians 4:9

It's safe to say He knows what He's doing people-even when we don't understand things in life. He does.

"I waited patiently for the Lord;
    he turned to me and heard my cry." 


Psalm 40:1

_____________________________________________________________

On a completely unrelated note: The it's 9 degrees outside with a real feel of -20 right now. 
:)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Need a Vacation from Our Vacation!

My hover craft is full of eels!

Are You Gonna Kiss Me Or Not?