May We Never Lose Our Wonder

Ever read something and it isn't until about the fourth pass over that something significant about it strikes you? Yeah, me too...
 


"When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me."
                                                                                                     1 Corinthians 13:11


I've read this verse before. I just don't think I've ever pondered on it this much. I suppose, in short, it's God's way of encouragement to "grow up" for goodness sake. Not that I don't feel like a grown up in my day to day life - I pay my bills and take care of my family just like any other responsible adult would. But this isn't just about putting food on the table or getting the laundry done. This is about spiritually growing up. We are to come to Him with the innocence of a child, yes; but also so that we may be open and wide-eyed to His take away point. Whatever that may be for each individual. It's different for all of us.

Today I read a line from I book I'm re-reading which the authors wrote probably with the intention to create a timeless statement. It said, "Most of what you've been experiencing in the last twelve months is God's attempt to get you to face your style of relating and repent of it." The point being that we all have our way of doing life, we all have our own personalities and tendancies and thoughts; but God has his way of doing life, too. How well do our ways (my ways) match up to cooperate with His ways?

And life is about choices, right? We have to choose to listen and apply any directional advice He'd extend to us once we're in His presence. That is, if we can get over ourselves to find ourselves near Him - ya know, our pride and all... So would it make sense to say that until we are willing to stop being childish, we're only going to take away the bare minimum of His guidance? I think it would...Yet, overtime He's still going to water the seeds He's planted in you/me. It's not so black and white that we're completely unreachable by the One who created us. His love is relentless, remember?

He's going to keep having real conversations with your heart until something grows a little deeper. And then He's going to keep watering it. If He needs to treat you like a child at first to get your attention, gentle and firm, I imagine He might entertain that method for a time. After all, He's a gentle and firm God who knows how to care for us. But He doesn't plateau.

Oh no, this one and only God of the universe does not plateau. He knows every level of your inner most being. The highest of highs and what you consider rock bottom. And you can't spend your whole relationship with Him trying to reason with His plans for your life just so you remain in a comfort zone or get what you want or what have you.

C'mon, quit kidding yourself! You know where and what you've been reasoning with God. It's usually where He wants to intervene and make you more than a conqueror. It's where that other little voice in the back of your mind keeps saying "Forget it, it's doubtful that..." or "It's unsalvageable because of this, this and this" or "what's the point?" or "You really think you can manage that?" or "How?". That creepy little voice is the same one that keeps you from "growing up" (spiritually). Basically, you keep choosing to allow outside forces to distance you from the love of God. All the while, God showers His truths and grace and love and mercy (aka Miracle Grow) into your soul until something peaceful transcends the selfish tendency of your heart. Oh, may we never lose our wonder for Him...

And isn't that all the more reason to hold fast to His truths and protect our hearts? By extension, we protect our family and friends because we bare the image of Christ for them in our lifestyle. (No, I am not suggesting that any of us are perfect - but how long will we reason the "I'm not perfect" excuse to justify our thoughts and actions.) If there is an area of life you have conviction in, feel lost about, don't understand, then ask Him about it! That's part of the growing up!

"God, what's the first step in this?"

"Is there something I can be doing different?"

"Will you help me to be willing and strong to follow through because I don't know how.", etc.

I guarantee God will reply with "Now we're talking!" Because you see He WANTS to pour into you. He chooses to love us. The child of His upbringing. He WANTS to connect with you. He WANTS to use you and show you what being capable means. He's experiencing life WITH us guys - not from the sidelines. So we don't need to worry about the "how" part. He's got that covered. We just need to be do-ers of the Word. (Easier said than done, I know; but that's obedience.)

Sometimes it means being a full-time missionary - near or far.

Sometimes it means becoming a full-time mommy.

Sometimes it means exercising the example of Christ at work/around others.

Sometimes it means exercising restraint in your addictions.

Sometimes it means fighting for your marriage - even when you don't want to (it's a choice too, remember?).

Sometimes it means finishing the race set out before you - because you CAN.

Whatever kind of life you're running, you can't run from God. So let's grow up with His plan for our lives before we get winded or die (spiritually) trying to figure everything out on our own. I would go as far to say that if He has placed people in your life to help you in your spiritual growth and expansion of faith, do yourself a grand favor and stop running from them as well. They love you unconditionally. They really do...

"You make my footsteps and my path secure. So walking on water is just the beginning. Cause my faith to arise, stand at attention; for you are calling me to greater things...
You will lift my head above the mighty waves. You are able to keep me from stumbling. And in my weakness You are the strength that comes from within. Good shepherd of my soul, take my hand and lead me on!"






Comments

  1. This was so awesome! Things that I needed to hear and has been brought up over the last couple of weeks at church!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Need a Vacation from Our Vacation!

My hover craft is full of eels!

Are You Gonna Kiss Me Or Not?