Have You Tried The Lamb Lately?

HOST:
"Welcome to the Masquerade! May I offer you a platter of poor decisions to choose from, or would you prefer a glass of denial? In either case, I'm more than willing to assist you in your gluttonous tendency. In fact, don't even worry about portion control here! There's plenty to go around! And when you've finished the appetizers, feel welcome to change into something more appropriate for dinner. In the closet is a veil and something heavy to drape around your shoulders. Take your time, I'll be waiting for you..."

"Dinner will proceed a little differently than what you're used to. The servants are rather busy attending to those still in the appetizer phase. But you're used to serving yourself, right? Great! Because tonight we shall feast on the vulnerable and prey over the weak. Oh, and don't worry about your neighbor - just enjoy yourself."

YOU: 
"Umm, thanks...There's a lot of people here. Who is that guy?"

HOST:
"Who? Oh...Him. That's J. I wouldn't bother getting to know Him. He's a little socially awkward but feels the need to make His presence known during the most inopportune times. Doesn't even wear a mask! He just waits around like a servant waiting to be acknowledged or something."

YOU:
"What do you mean?"

HOST:
"Well, last night He filled someone's cup so full it ran over the rim. Made such a mess of things that the guest went outside with Him to have a chat about it. Now that I think about it, I haven't seen that guest since....Anyway, how's the food?!"

YOU:
"Well, I got the lamb, but I'm having a hard time trying it with this veil on."

HOST:
"Meh, don't bother trying the lamb. I've been trying to get the master to take it off the menu but that J guy insists it remains an option. Seriously, of all things to choose from, I don't know why He'd think anyone would care to go for it."

YOU: 
"Perhaps the regulars get tired of everything else? It doesn't appear that there is really much in the way of variety...or healthy plates for that matter."

HOST:
"Since when do you care about anything healthy? You know, you're reputation preceded you tonight... And besides, that side helping of regret never seemed to phase you before now."

YOU:
"I suppose... Does J ever eat?"

HOST:
"No. I guess He's too good for the food around here - except the lamb, of course. He's not even a real guest! Or welcome for that matter. And yet, there He is. Always present...and always in the way. "
YOU:
"Speaking of things in the way, I'm starting to question this wardrobe. I mean, this coat around my shoulders seems a little excessive considering the event. I can't feed myself much of anything at this rate." 
[J removes coat]
"Oh, thanks J! That's much better."

HOST: 
[Rolls eyes.] "I can't wait for the day I get to dismiss that guy. It's one thing for Him to not participate in the theme. But it's another for Him to influence the guests... At least you still have your veil."

YOU:
"Well, that's the other issue. Not only is it becoming a nuisance quite frankly, it's dark in here! The only light brightening the room is over there where J is. Can someone at least light a candle at the table?"

HOST:
"I don't know what your problem is. This is a free event, after all - as long as you wear face cover. And it's self-serving. If you want more light. Go get it yourself."

YOU:
"Why don't you wear a veil?"

HOST:
"Because I wear a mask."

YOU:
"Okay, why do you wear a mask?"

HOST:
"There's more variety in my character with masks. I can be lovely or stunning. I can be wild and crazy. I can be colorful or distracting. My personal favorite is this one I'm wearing. It's my devil's advocate look - red looks good on me."

YOU:
"I like red, too. May I try it on?"

HOST:
"No. I don't let guests try on my costumes. But there's a trunk full of other ones you may choose from in the dressing room. I created them all so they're surely fabulous as well!"

YOU:
"Why not? I'll give it right back."

HOST:
"Because then it reveals who I really am."

YOU:
"Is that a bad thing? Besides, as I said, it's quite dark in here. I doubt I'd make it to the dressing room much less be able to discern your true nature."

HOST:
"Haha! Oh that's right. You were too lazy to get a light for your path..."

YOU:
"Well, J seems nice. Perhaps He'll move closer with His light if I ask Him... Hey, J! Come closer, would you?"

HOST:
"Ugh...Hello, J. I see you've neglected to be anything more fun than simply apparent. For the love self, quit shining Your light in my face..."

YOU:
[distracted]
"Wow. This lamb looks really good! But in seeing everything else, I'm not all that impressed. Look at those apples. No offense, but eww."

HOST:
"Well, if J would quit leading people away from this place there would be more people to eat those apples before they rot! He's going to run us out of business!!"

YOU:
"Then would it really matter if you revealed who you really are?"

HOST:
"Clever looks good on you! Touche!"

YOU:
"And for that matter, who is the 'master' anyway? I haven't seen that individual making the rounds...You'd think He'd be sure to greet everyone if business is rough."

HOST:
"He's closer than you realize."

YOU:
"Anyway, if you don't reveal yourself, how will you go down in history for all your extravagant masquerade parties?"

HOST:
"For one thing, I don't plan on 'going down'... And the question isn't really if I am to reveal who I am, is it? The question is when."

YOU:
"What do you mean? Is there some sort of revelation at the end of the night?"

HOST:
"That is for you to decide. 
In the mean time, I noticed you haven't tried the Lamb yet..."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Need a Vacation from Our Vacation!

My hover craft is full of eels!

Are You Gonna Kiss Me Or Not?