We Need a Vacation from Our Vacation!

This past week we visited our home state of Florida. I'll try not to bore you with a huge recap of everything we did. But I will say it was both a fun and exhausting trip. Basically, anytime we visit Florida it's never a "vacation" in the true sense of the word. Setting my alarm every morning doesn't exactly ring "you're on vacation!" to me. But we had places to be and people to see and commitments to attend.

We flew in to Orlando as usual and my mom picked us up. We headed straight to Panera Bread (oh the broccoli-cheddar soup was delcious..) before she dropped us off at Casey and Kendra's house where we would stay for the week. Upon arriving to their house, we were greeted by Casey who was holding Avery. Normally it's all hugs and hellos. This time it was some version of the following:

Casey: (opens door) "Hey guys!"
Amy: "Hi Casey!" (no hug, immediately enters house)
Casey and Jeff: (Still standing at the door when Amy returns from the kitchen after washing hands.)
Amy: "Okay! Can I hold Avery now?!" (Proceeds to hold Avery for the next 2 hours until Kendra came home from work.)
 

Avery, 4 months

Jeff and I had so much fun with the Stoterau family of three - as per usual. We're so glad they have kept their spirit for adventure alive even after the long road they've traveled with Avery and the fact she is still so new to this world. We all decided to make Sunday an Avery's first beach trip day! 


It really was the perfect beach day! Not too hot but very sunny. Avery stayed covered in the shade but her baby toes were peeking out so I took a picture! The guys went for their run on the beach and while they did their miles Kendra and I chatted with the tune of Bob Marley playing in the background. I will say, though, that the water was horrendously cold.
I'm not even sure one could call it "swimming" in the ocean. Seriously, I don't know why I went in there...SO cold.

Anyway, we had our fill of the beach in just a few hours and wanted to go to dinner. Since the wedding I was in had their rehearsal dinner at Olive Garden - one of our main go to places in the past - we chose the other favorite, which is Tony's Sushi. Following up with tradition, we ate too much and forced ourselves into dinner at Coldstone. Eventually we rolled ourselves back to the house and stayed up laughing and chatting into the night.
Another Avery first - her first visit to Coldstone!

And I also got to spend a little time with Nick and Tiffany's new baby girl, Shelby! She's so adorable and it was nice to catch up with the new mommy on how things are going!


Speaking of Shelby, I remember when our own niece, Shelby, was this small! Of course, whenever our friends have kids we like being considered "Uncle Jeff and Aunt Amy". People think I have like 5 brothers and sisters by the way I talk about everyone's children as my nieces and nephews lol. But Shelby is not so small anymore - she's quite tall actually...

 

 Tickle games are always instigated at some point.

To which Jeff is usually on the losing end of...

Shelby has been practicing baton twirling and wanted to show us before we left the night that we visited. She made me a volunteer baton twirler. That was just a bad idea. I quickly proved how terrible I was at the art of baton twirling and realized I was just a danger to myself and anyone else nearby as long as I made any efforts. (That thing REALLY does hurt when it hits you.) Shelby was a relentless coach and made me practice "over there". But I tried - I was awarded with a weed... Mema got the easy volunteer job and was awarded her weed within minutes! It took me 15 minutes and 5 bruises the day before a wedding just to earn mine! My mom provided music for the show when she volunteered. Jeff just watched an laughed...




In other events, the main one I should say, was Regan and Norma's wedding! I felt so blessed to be a part of that. Norma was one of my bridesmaids, and now it was my turn to be hers! For months we have been texting and Pinning all things wedding related. Finally, I was able to join in on the festivities in person! Starting with dress fittings (me the first, Norma's the last), preparation errands, and mani/pedis!



It was really cool to see Norma's idea come together from set up to "I Do". Here are some pics!

Soon to be Mr. and Mrs. ^^

         Bride to be on a mission...rehearsal day!           Lanterns to be hung...

Ceremony practice and then dinner to follow!

My bridesmaid gift! And Origami Owl necklace :D
                                  Mrs. Woodall                        Amy on garter duty ;P


That smile...

Happily ever after!

The reception was a delightful outdoor party. Okay, it got a little crazy. Which is why it's always fun to be an observer. ;P  But really, everything was beautiful and I was able to snag Norma long enough for pictures before they took off. Honeymoon at The Biltmore! She has already sent me pictures and I definitely want to go. (Jeff, if you're reading this, I want to go to The Biltmore.) ;)  Congratulations Norma and Regan!


Jeff and I got out of town for a day of "just us" fun. He suggested we go to Busch Gardens. So we did! It did end up raining but honestly we still had a great time. We went on some roller coasters, watched the elephants crush coconuts, saw how they train cheetahs, found a monkey we both agreed looked too awesome to not own. Of course, I can't remember the name of it and we didn't get a picture... All in all, Busch Gardens was a great choice!




                      On a train ride through the conservation.               Kitty!! 

The last day was spent pretty much running errands for the house we rent out in Florida (ironically to the new bride and groom - thank God for trust worthy people!). We hadn't planned to really do anything aside from installing a set of new blinds. But you walk me into Lowe's and suddenly it's an all day idea fest complete with door shopping and paint swatches. We basically ran around town until it was time for dinner with the moms and PopPop (my grandfather). 

After dinner we went back to the Stoterau house and chatted for a short while before going to bed. I was practically falling asleep with my eyes open. I reluctantly said my goodbyes since we wouldn't see them again before leaving. The flight home was really good...except we had Mexican followed by Ben & Jerry's ice cream for lunch just before our last flight into Rapid City - so I feel bad for the people in that small plane. Nevertheless, we made it back and I think at this point I'm pretty much out of sleep deprivation! Thank you to my hubby who helped me unpack and wash and put away all of our things. (I'm simply not the person who can return from a trip and leave everything until the next day.) And thank you to everyone who helped make this trip as awesome as it was. We love you! And for those whom we missed seeing, we will try to plan a less busy trip next time we're in town. For now, the following Avery face expresses our happiness :)





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My hover craft is full of eels!

Are You Gonna Kiss Me Or Not?