My hover craft is full of eels!
My day has turned out to be rather productive. I have spent most of my afternoon learning Korean words and phrases in preparation for my visit to South Korea this summer. Youtube has become quite the educational resource when learning a second language! I started with the most practical, of course.
"Hello"
(ann-yeong) or (ann-yeong-haseyo)
INFORMAL FORMAL
and
"Welcome"
(hwan-yeong)
My plan is to use this language as often as possible without being too obnoxious, in effort to learn it quickly and efficiently. For example, when Jeff comes home, I will greet him with "annyeong!" and a hug. I will also be sure to "hwanyeong" him when he enters the room, gets in the car...visits me at work...walks into any given establishment.....emerges from the bathroom..........(It's for his own good, of course.)
Let's see, "thank you" is an expression of gratitude. I always do my best to "kamsa-hamnida" people when necessary. So that was another important one. Though, as much as I'd like to be polite while in another country, saying "You're welcome" sounds a lot like "pass the mayo" at first; or "chiminea" (those outdoor chimney things). So I may get burned for that one if I mess it up.
After which I will quickly apologize by saying "je-song-hamnida" or "mian-heyo" because I
FORMAL INFORMAL
do not like mayo and will be sorry if that's what I get out of welcoming people in Korean.
Anyway, I expect I'll be a bit jet-lagged when I finally complete my 24 hour journey overseas. So I'll need to know what time it is once I arrive. In case Siri is her usual unhelpful self, I'll just fluently ask the closest airport attendant "myoshi-emm-neega?", and hope it doesn't go something like that bar scene in Rush Hour with Jacki Chan... :/ Fortunately, there's the alternative "myoshi-eyo". Safe!
Alright, so I'm feeling confident enough to enter another country and verify the time zone...but after 24 hours and my tiny bladder I will no doubt need to use the bathroom.
(hwajangshille-audee-heyo) or (hwajangshille-audisum-neeka)
INFORMAL FORMAL
[exists bathroom like a champ]
Eventually, Jeff and I will be hungry- me, probably right away. So, I made sure to learn "I'm hungry" (bae-go-p'a-yo) from the Youtube lady. Which sounds like "bake a pie ya" so that's easy enough. Or I could use (bae-go-soomnida) because it kind of sounds like "bake up somethin duh". But no worries. Amy will always find the food! I have, however; been warned to be weary of Kim Chi. (spicey pickled cabbage) No problem......
There's a list of other, no doubt essential, phrases. This includes but is not limited to:
"Can you help me?" [Still debating on whether or not to learn "I'm lost" though...]
(doajusilsu-eesuseyo)
"How much is this?" [There will be shopping involved when I visit-souvenirs!]
(eego-ulmaeyo)
"Do you speak English?" [Hey, you never know]
(yongah-haseyo) or (meegukmal-haseyo)
"Do you want to sing at a Karaoke bar?" [This will flawlessly lead me to food, bathrooms, and entertainment!]
(norebangeh-gasoh-norehaleh)
But reluctantly, we must eventually say our "annyeongs" again (hello is also goodbye) and part ways until a later time. We can also just choose to say "see you later" (na-jung-e bwae) instead of "goodbye" (also: jal-ga) since that is more accurate anyway! Either way many "I miss you's" will be exchanged (bogo-sheepoyo) while we are apart. But this is all still a long ways off so the buy-one-get-one-sheep can just stay put in their field for the time being!
In the mean time, I'm requesting Jeff master "danghsinun-aluum-daab-sumnida" ("you're beautiful") for when I deboard my plane. To which I will happily smile and respond, "Nae-hoebuhkeurapeuteuneun-changuhro-kadeuk-cha-isseyo!" ("My hovercraft is full of eels!") loudly just to see what everyone in the airport does. Hey, I have to find somewhere to use that one....
In any event, wish me "good luck!" (hengunul-beegeyo!) and thank you for your many prayers already! And by the way, the above phrase happens to sound like "hang on there big girl" when spoken quickly-so I'll understand if you just settle with that one. ;)
Now that I think of it, perhaps playing Mad Gabs on NYE was the perfect pre-requisite for this language! If all else fails, I'll just create signs for each phrase and make like Wile E Coyote who never had to actually say anything! ;)
...............
"Hello"
(ann-yeong) or (ann-yeong-haseyo)
INFORMAL FORMAL
and
"Welcome"
(hwan-yeong)
My plan is to use this language as often as possible without being too obnoxious, in effort to learn it quickly and efficiently. For example, when Jeff comes home, I will greet him with "annyeong!" and a hug. I will also be sure to "hwanyeong" him when he enters the room, gets in the car...visits me at work...walks into any given establishment.....emerges from the bathroom..........(It's for his own good, of course.)
Let's see, "thank you" is an expression of gratitude. I always do my best to "kamsa-hamnida" people when necessary. So that was another important one. Though, as much as I'd like to be polite while in another country, saying "You're welcome" sounds a lot like "pass the mayo" at first; or "chiminea" (those outdoor chimney things). So I may get burned for that one if I mess it up.
After which I will quickly apologize by saying "je-song-hamnida" or "mian-heyo" because I
FORMAL INFORMAL
do not like mayo and will be sorry if that's what I get out of welcoming people in Korean.
Anyway, I expect I'll be a bit jet-lagged when I finally complete my 24 hour journey overseas. So I'll need to know what time it is once I arrive. In case Siri is her usual unhelpful self, I'll just fluently ask the closest airport attendant "myoshi-emm-neega?", and hope it doesn't go something like that bar scene in Rush Hour with Jacki Chan... :/ Fortunately, there's the alternative "myoshi-eyo". Safe!
Alright, so I'm feeling confident enough to enter another country and verify the time zone...but after 24 hours and my tiny bladder I will no doubt need to use the bathroom.
(hwajangshille-audee-heyo) or (hwajangshille-audisum-neeka)
INFORMAL FORMAL
[exists bathroom like a champ]
Eventually, Jeff and I will be hungry- me, probably right away. So, I made sure to learn "I'm hungry" (bae-go-p'a-yo) from the Youtube lady. Which sounds like "bake a pie ya" so that's easy enough. Or I could use (bae-go-soomnida) because it kind of sounds like "bake up somethin duh". But no worries. Amy will always find the food! I have, however; been warned to be weary of Kim Chi. (spicey pickled cabbage) No problem......
There's a list of other, no doubt essential, phrases. This includes but is not limited to:
"Can you help me?" [Still debating on whether or not to learn "I'm lost" though...]
(doajusilsu-eesuseyo)
"How much is this?" [There will be shopping involved when I visit-souvenirs!]
(eego-ulmaeyo)
"Do you speak English?" [Hey, you never know]
(yongah-haseyo) or (meegukmal-haseyo)
"Do you want to sing at a Karaoke bar?" [This will flawlessly lead me to food, bathrooms, and entertainment!]
(norebangeh-gasoh-norehaleh)
But reluctantly, we must eventually say our "annyeongs" again (hello is also goodbye) and part ways until a later time. We can also just choose to say "see you later" (na-jung-e bwae) instead of "goodbye" (also: jal-ga) since that is more accurate anyway! Either way many "I miss you's" will be exchanged (bogo-sheepoyo) while we are apart. But this is all still a long ways off so the buy-one-get-one-sheep can just stay put in their field for the time being!
In the mean time, I'm requesting Jeff master "danghsinun-aluum-daab-sumnida" ("you're beautiful") for when I deboard my plane. To which I will happily smile and respond, "Nae-hoebuhkeurapeuteuneun-changuhro-kadeuk-cha-isseyo!" ("My hovercraft is full of eels!") loudly just to see what everyone in the airport does. Hey, I have to find somewhere to use that one....
In any event, wish me "good luck!" (hengunul-beegeyo!) and thank you for your many prayers already! And by the way, the above phrase happens to sound like "hang on there big girl" when spoken quickly-so I'll understand if you just settle with that one. ;)
Now that I think of it, perhaps playing Mad Gabs on NYE was the perfect pre-requisite for this language! If all else fails, I'll just create signs for each phrase and make like Wile E Coyote who never had to actually say anything! ;)
...............

Comments
Post a Comment