Let it Snow, Let it Snow!

Well, it's no surprise to most anymore that I am completely taken with snowy weather. Be it a slight flurry or an all out blizzard-I'm as happy as a clam when I know snow is expected. Yes, it's cold...but it's SO beautiful! Out here on these hills and covering the evergreens...just gorgeous. Seriously, sometimes when it's dark out and the light hits the snow on the ground, it looks like diamonds all sparkly. 

Today, one of my emailed devotionals I received compared encouragement to snow. It said, "Instruction that is wrapped with encouragement really works. No one cares how much you know until they know just how much you care. I have heard it said that advice and instruction are like snow. The softer they fall - the deeper they stick. Sensitive instruction is encouragement."

I can imagine if I was the one in a "dark" place, encouragement brought under the "light" of grace would surely be something to behold and stand firm on. As much as I love a good blizzard swirling outside, that particular approach would no doubt be far too heavy in the way of encouragement. But like I said, snow under the light of the moon or the porch lamp is definitely something to behold as it falls softly to the ground and packs in for the night. What if I considered myself as the one in need of encouragement? Likewise, if I was called to be the encourager to another-be it friend or foe-it's humbling to recognize just what a privilege that would be as well.

Hebrews 3:13 says to "encourage one another daily." And 2 Timothy 4:2 says to "encourage them with great patience." Often I forget just how much patience is involved with encouragement. Just as my devotional pointed out: People do not become discouraged overnight, and they will not often become re-encouraged overnight. I know for me personally, it helps to encourage without high expectations. It's simply a little unrealistic to think any or all advice I have to offer would trump that of what God's word/influence would have to say to someone. Which is why I also believe it's so important to always encourage people back to Him, rather than risk rambling my own opinions on a given situation. He set the example of a gentle approach. I quite like the idea of approaching (or being approached) patiently with the weight of grace.

Ecclesiastes 4:12 is an awesome reminder that “Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.” So, I'd say it's also important to look for opportunities to encourage others. I think reaching out to others in effort to be "God with skin on" gets us out of that "I'm the victim (of discouragement)" mindset. Sometimes my mom will say, firm but lovingly; "for goodness sake-give yourself a break." It's helpful no doubt...When I make the effort to show myself grace, I find my heart opens up to the encouragement from others in a way that's less defensive. And vice-sersa, I tend to be more willing to see where I could be a helper for others. Basically, let God deal with you, and be Jesus to someone else in the process.


I like snow. And I like encouragement-both the giving and receiving. And Jesus did call us to give. So if you're feeling like an evergreen on a lonely hill in the night-I'll come cover you with "snow". When one is encouraged, I think it's accurate to say they feel more beautiful. :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Need a Vacation from Our Vacation!

My hover craft is full of eels!

Are You Gonna Kiss Me Or Not?